What kinds of special educational needs does the school/setting make provision for?

In our school, we make provision for a variety of needs. These can include issues with cognition and learning, communication and interaction, social and emotional and mental health issues or sensory and physical needs. All children in school have support within lessons through differentiation and quality first teaching strategies. This means that activities are planned according to the level the child or young person is working at. This can include a variety of adaptions including changes to the physical environment, changes to teaching styles as well as levels of adult support.

How does the school/setting know if pupils need extra help and what should I do if I think that my child may have special educational needs?

If your child is identified as not making the expected progress, the school will set up a meeting to discuss this with you in more detail and to listen to any concerns you may have.

We will plan any additional support your child may need and discuss with you any referrals to outside professionals to support your child.

If you are concerned about your child or know that your child has any additional needs, including special educational needs, speak to the class teacher or Claire Turner, the school SENCO.

How does the school evaluate the effectiveness of its provision for pupils with special educational needs? How will both the school and I know how my child is doing and how will the school help me to support their learning?

Your child’s progress will be continually monitored by his/her class teacher. Their progress will be reviewed formally with the teacher and SENCo every term in reading, writing and numeracy.

Where it is determined that a pupil does have SEN, parents will be formally advised of this . The aim of formally identifying a pupil with SEN is to help school ensure that effective provision is put in place and so remove barriers to learning. The support provided consists of a four – part process:





This is an ongoing cycle to enable the provision to be refined and revised as the understanding of the needs of the pupil grows. This cycle enables the identification of those interventions which are the most effective in supporting the pupil to achieve good progress and outcomes.



This involves clearly analysing the pupil’s needs using the class teacher’s assessment and experience of working with the pupil, details of previous progress and attainment, comparisons with peers and national data, as well as the views and experience of parents. The pupil’s views and where relevant, advice from external support services will also be considered. Any parental concerns will be noted and compared with the school’s information and assessment data on how the pupil is progressing.

This analysis will require regular review to ensure that support and intervention is matched to need, that barriers to learning are clearly identified and being overcome and that the interventions being used are developing and evolving as required. Where external support staff are already involved their work will help inform the assessment of need. Where they are not involved they may be contacted, if this is felt to be appropriate, following discussion and agreement from parents.



Planning will involve consultation between the teacher, SENCO and parents to agree the adjustments, interventions and support that are required; the impact on progress, development and or behaviour that is expected and a clear date for review. Parental involvement may be sought, where appropriate, to reinforce or contribute to progress at home.

All those working with the pupil, including support staff will be informed of their individual needs, the support that is being provided, any particular teaching strategies/approaches that are being employed and the outcomes that are being sought.



The class teacher remains responsible for working with the child on a day-to-day basis. They will retain responsibility even where the interventions may involve group or one-to-one teaching away from the main class teacher. They will work closely with teaching assistants and /or relevant specialist staff to plan and assess the impact of support and interventions and links with classroom teaching. Support with further assessment of the pupil’s strengths and weaknesses, problem solving and advising of the implementation of effective support will be provided by the SENCO.



Reviews will be undertaken in line with agreed dates. The review process will evaluate the impact and quality of the support and interventions. It will also take account of the views of the pupil and their parents. The class teacher, in conjunction with the SENCO will revise the support and outcomes based on the pupil’s progress and development making any necessary amendments going forward, in consultation with parents and the pupil.

Parents will be provided with clear information about the impact of support to enable them to be involved in planning the next steps.


At the end of each key stage (i.e. at the end of year 2 and year 6), all children are required to be formally assessed using Standard Assessment Tests (SATS). This is something the government requires all schools to do and are the results that are published nationally.

Where necessary, children will have a Pupil Passport and individual targets will be set to enable your child to make specific progress. These targets will be reviewed regularly, will be evidence for judgements assessed and a future plan made.

Parents and pupils will be consulted on a regular basis to ensure that all are happy with the provision that is in place and that discussions have taken place to ensure that all know the most effective means of support.

The progress of children with a statement of SEN/EHC Plan will be formally reviewed at an Annual Review with all adults involved with the child’s education.

The SENCo will also check that your child is making good progress within any individual sessions or groups that they take part in.

Regular book investigations and lesson observations will be carried out by the SENCo and other members of the Senior Management Team to ensure that the needs of all children are met and that the quality of teaching and learning is high.

What is the school’s approach to teaching pupils with special educational needs?

a) Class teacher input, via targeted classroom teaching (Quality First Teaching).

For your child this would mean

  • That the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
  • That all teaching is built on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.
  • That different ways of teaching are in place, so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning.
  • That specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENCo) are in place to support your child to learn.
  • Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has a gap or gaps in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.
  • Specific group work

Intervention which may be

  • Run in the classroom or a group room.
  • Run by a teacher or a teaching assistant (TA).

b) Specialist groups run by outside agencies, e.g. Speech and Language therapy

This means a pupil has been identified by the SENCo/class teacher as needing some extra specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from

Local Authority central services, such as the ASD Outreach Team, Behaviour Support Team or Sensory Service (for students with a hearing or visual need).
Outside agencies such as the Education Psychology Service (EPS).
What could happen:

You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional, e.g. a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help the school and your to understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them more effectively in school.
The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations as to the ways your child is given support.

c) Specified Individual support

This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are severe, complex and lifelong.

This is usually provided via a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). This means your child will have been identified by professionals as needing a particularly high level of individual or small-group teaching.

This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups.

Your child will also need specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from

Local Authority central services such as the ASD Outreach Team, Behaviour Support or Sensory Service (for students with a hearing or visual need).
Outside agencies such as the Speech and Language Therapy (SALT) Service.
For your child this would mean

The school (or you) can request that Local Authority Services carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process which sets out the amount of support that will be provided for your child.
After the request has been made to the ‘Panel of Professionals’ (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you), they will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex enough to need a statutory assessment. If this is the case, they will ask you and all professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s needs. If they do not think your child needs this, they will ask the school to continue with the current support .
After the reports have all been sent in, the Panel of Professionals will decide if your child’s needs are severe, complex and lifelong. If this is the case, they will write a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP). If this is not the case, they will ask the school to continue with the current level of support and also set up a meeting in school to ensure a plan is in place to ensure your child makes as much progress as possible.
The Statement or EHC Plan will outline the number of hours of individual/small group support your child will receive from the LA and how the support should be used, and what strategies must be put in place. It will also have long- and short-term goals for your child.
The additional adult may be used to support your child with whole class learning, run individual programmes or run small groups including your child.

How will the curriculum and learning be matched to my child/young person’s needs?

The class teachers plan lessons according to the specific needs of all groups of children in their class and will ensure that your child’s needs are met. This is through

  • Support staff, under the direction of the class teacher, can adapt planning to support the needs of your child where necessary.
  • Specific resources and strategies will be used to support your child individually and in groups.
  • Planning and teaching will be adapted, on a regular basis if needed, to meet your child’s learning needs.

How are decisions made about the type and amount of support my child/young person will receive?

The school budget, received from Nottinghamshire County Council, includes money for supporting children with SEN.
The Head Teacher decides on the deployment of resources for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities, in consultation with the school governors on the basis of needs in the school.
The Head Teacher and the SENCo discuss all the information they have about SEND in the school, including

  • the children getting extra support already,
  • the children needing extra support,
  • the children who have been identified as not making as much progress as would be expected.

From this information, they decide what resources/training and support is needed.

The school identifies the needs of SEN pupils on a provision map. This identifies all support given within school and is reviewed regularly and changes made as needed, so that the needs of children are met, and resources are deployed as effectively as possible.

How will my child/young person be included in activities outside the classroom, including school trips?

All children are included in all parts of the school curriculum and we aim for all children to be included on school trips. We will provide the necessary support to ensure that this is successful.

A risk assessment is carried out prior to any off site activity to ensure everyone’s health & safety will not be compromised. In the unlikely event that it is considered unsafe for a child to take part in an activity, then alternative activities which will cover the same curriculum areas will be provided in school.

What support will there be for my child/young person’s overall well-being?

We recognize that some children have extra emotional and social needs that need to be developed and nurtured. These needs can manifest themselves in a number of ways, including behavioural difficulties, anxiousness, and being uncommunicative.

For those children who find aspects of this difficult we offer

  • Nuture sessions that follow the Nurture Principles and is run on a termly basis.
  • An Art and Craft club for children to learn how to co-operate with one another in a small group.
  • PSED through a broad curriculum

If your child still needs extra support, with your permission, the SENCo will access further support through the CAF process.

Who is the schools special educational needs co-ordinator (SENCO) and what are their contact details?

Mrs Kay Grim is the school SENCO. She can be contacted through the school office.

If you have concerns about your child’s progress, you should speak to your child’s class teacher initially.

The school SEN Governor, Mrs Emma Garaboldi can also be contacted for support.

What training have staff supporting special educational needs had and what is planned?

The SENCo’s job is to support the class teacher in planning for children with SEN.

The school provides training and support to enable all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children, including those with SEN. This includes whole school training on SEN issues, such as Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and speech and language difficulties.

Individual teachers and support staff attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their class.

What specialist services and expertise are available or accessed by the school?

School provision

Teachers responsible for teaching SEN groups/individuals.
Teaching Assistants working with either individual children or small groups.
ICT support in the form of writing and maths programmes.
Teaching Assistants offering support for children with emotional and social development through our Nurture Group
Local Authority Provision delivered in school

Education Support Services
Educational Psychology Service
Sensory Service for children with visual or hearing needs
Parent Partnership Service
SALT (Speech and Language Therapy)
Health Provision delivered in school

Additional Speech and Language Therapy input to provide a higher level of service to the school.
School Nurse
Occupational Therapy

How will equipment and facilities to support pupils with special educational needs be secured? How accessible is the school?

There are two disabled toilets, shower area and changing facilities.

We ensure where ever possible that equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs.

After-school provision is accessible to all children, including those with SEN.

Extra-curricular activities are accessible for children with SEN.

What are the arrangements for consulting parents of pupils with special educational needs? How will be I involved in the education of my child/young person?

The class teacher is regularly available to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns you may have and to share information about what is working well at home and school, so that similar strategies can be used.

The SENCo is available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns/worries you may have.

All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you, with the person involved directly, or where this is not possible, in a report.

Personal progress targets will be reviewed with your involvement every term.

Homework will be adjusted as needed to your child’s individual requirements.

A home-school contact book may be used to support communication with you when this has been agreed to be useful for you and your child.

What are the arrangements for consulting young people with SEN and involving them in their education?

We value and celebrate each child being able to express their views on all aspects of school life. This is usually carried out through the School Council which has an open forum for any issues or viewpoints to be raised.

Children who have Pupil Passports discuss and set their targets with their class teacher.
There is a school worry box which is regularly checked by the Deputy Head.
If your child has an EHCP, their views will be sought before any review meetings.