Free School Meals
Eating well at the right time is proven to have a significant impact on the learning and ability to concentrate of young people. It is extremely important that young people are well equipped for school and ready to learn and one contributing factor to this is eating healthily. At Sacred Heart, we understand that financial difficulties that some parents experience on a daily basis and we would like you to consider applying for a free school meal, if you think you are eligible.
If you are entitled to one of the following benefits, you may be entitled to claim:
- Child Tax Credit, provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual income (as assessed by Her Majesty’s Revenue & Customs (HMRC)) that does not exceed £16,190
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- Income-based and Contributions-based JSA and ESA on an equal basis
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
- Working Tax Credit run-on – paid for four weeks after the person stops qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit – during the initial roll-out of the benefit
Because we are a cashless school, all students in receipt of a free school meal remain anonymous and the information is treated as private and confidential. There is no longer the need to feel that there is a ‘stigma’ attached to students in receipt of a free meal.
You may or may not be aware that claiming your entitlement to a free school meal also now guarantees your child access to additional funding which could help with the purchase of uniform, school equipment and contributions to school trips.
If you live in Nottinghamshire visit the County Council website (http://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/education/school-meals/free-school-meals-and-milk) or call 0300 500 80 80.
If you live in the City of Nottingham visit the Nottingham City Council website (http://www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/2399) or call 0115 915 4084.